Kunuwanimano Child and Family Services is a not-for-profit child and family services agency offering services in a holistic manner to strengthen children and families in their own communities in the context of their unique cultural heritage.
POSITION: HOMEMAKER (Union Position)
LOCATION: All districts, ON
STATUS: Full Time Contract (up to March 31, 2020 with possibility of extension, pending funding) – 35 hrs per week
SALARY: $39,415 – $50,830 per annum
CLOSING DATE: January 14, 2020 at 4:30 pm
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Prevention Supervisor, the Homemaker is responsible for providing a variety of services focused on enhancing our families’ quality of living.
Education and Experience:
- Must have a Social Services Diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working within a social services context, preferably with Indigenous families;
- Knowledgeable, empathetic as to the issues impacting at risk First Nations families within the Kunuwanimano jurisdiction.
- Able to transfer acquired skills through previous/similar job experiences into the position of Homemaker Educator.
- Cultural awareness / knowledge of First Nations culture in the North
- Ability to teach with patience, kindness, caring and respect as a way to support and build relationships
- Ability to work collaboratively and to elicit cooperation from others;
- Ability to organize and prioritize a variety of competing and urgent demands;
- Excellent planning, organizational, administrative and oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and decision making skills;
- Must produce a negative Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Ability to speak a Native language will be considered an asset;
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision;
- Must possess a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence, have daily access to a reliable vehicle with a $2 million rider liability insurance;
- Must be willing to travel and to work flexible hours.
- Provides fair, equitable, respectful and culturally relevant service to First Nations children, youth and families, consistent with the vision, mission and values of Kunuwanimano.
- Forms collaborative working relationships with Prevention and Protection staff in servicing high risk families. Attend case conferences as required to ensure the needs of the families are identified.
- Plan of service will be identified through mentorship and guidance with the Prevention Supervisor.
- Undertakes home visits and establishes trusting relationships with mothers/caregivers and their children. Worker will attend the first meeting with staff identified through file assignment and/or case conference.
- Support, educate and teach mothers/caregivers how to develop a home management system to support the health and well-being of the children and families.
- Support and educate mothers/caregivers on safe/nontoxic products for cleaning that will ensure a healthy safe environment.
- Educate and support mothers/caregivers on how the importance of keeping the home free of hazards to ensure the health and safety for the children.
- Support and educate mothers/caregivers with the development of tracking all items needed for the home including cleaning products, towels, beddings; space savers, organizers; cookware etc.
- Attend home meeting with Prevention/Protection staff to support mothers/caregivers.
- Reports in Frontline as required with guidance and mentorship with the Prevention Supervisor.
- Other related duties as assigned within the program’s mandate.
Please refer to our website: www.kunuwanimano.com/employment.htm, for posting details.Please quote the Competition No. in your cover letter and resume, and submit by email to HR@kunuwanimano.com, by fax to 705 266-9122 or by mail to:
Kunuwanimano Child & Family Services
401 Cedar Street South
Timmins, ON P4N 2H7
Please note that preference will be given to qualified First Nations and Aboriginal applicants. Please self-identify. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation is available on request from candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Thank you for your interest in our Agency. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.